Are you an unpatriotic Homeschooler?
This one emal was from a homeschooling mom.
She was talking about being patriotic. She said that she teaches her children to love her country, but that we are here in this country for freedom. And if we require a citizen to do something (like the draft), then we are violating their rights to freedom.
She said that she is patriotic - but she really doesn't have a clue.
Who said that having freedom meant that you don't have any responsibilities? No one.
In fact, the more freedom and privelage you have, the more individual responsibility you have.
I mean really - if freedom means doing something you don't want to do or not having to do anything - then why have laws? Why have morals?....
Fortunately, our fore-fathers did not feel the same about their country. If none of them were willing to serve their country to protect their freedom, we wouldn't have it today.
And personally, in my opinion, if anyone is not willing to fight for their country when the need desperately exists, they need to move to Canada. Because they don't deserve to be an American.
- My kids are taught to be patriotic.
- They are taught to love their flag.
- They are taught how to properly pledge to their flag.
- They are taught what they flag means and represents.
- They are taught proper etiquette for care of their flag
- They are taught about communities, and freedoms, and responsibilities.
- They are taught how and why their father decided to become a member of the military and actively serve his country.
- They are taught how to care for property, respect others, and stand for what they believe in
That is being patriotic.
NOT sitting around, saying "I'm in a free country, you don't have to make me do anything I dont' want to."
How completely, utterly selfish.
Laura Bankston is author of Internationally selling Cooking with Kids Curriculum: Ã¢â¬ÅHomeschool Cooking in a BoxÃ¢â¬? and the Ã¢â¬ÅHomeschool CookbookÃ¢â¬?. She currently home schools her three children, maintains home school support websites, and manages their family-owned service business. For information on her curriculum and free home school support services, please visit https://www.homeschoolcookbook.com
Copyright 2004, Abundant Learning Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Reprint Permission Requirements: Intact bio, Active hyper-link, and notifiication (click here) of article name and reprint location link.